Friday, December 12, 2008

I love Taiwan!

I'm ecstatic. My life in Taiwan is a dream. Today I edited for a couple of hours; easy, at home work listening to music and having a leisurely lunch. The weather is beautiful. I can hear the meditative sound of running water from the carp pond in my garden. Two hours work (around $50) a day gives me enough money to live comfortably here. In the afternoon I went shopping for furniture at 2nd hand stores - I have a huge loft on the 3rd floor of my house and am going to turn it into a home theater. Yesterday I'd found a set of three couches for $200, but today I did better. I'm deciding between a black, floral L-shaped set that looks like it came from a dance club, or a pair of large red leather sofas. I could get either set for about $125. In the same store, I found a brand new foosball table (my favorite game!!) and will buy that tomorrow. They will deliver the furniture and carry it up to the 3rd floor for no extra charge. There was also a beautiful hard wood antique table (the kind that you can extend to make larger), also for $125 - it's a steal but unfortunately I don't have anywhere to put it.

On the way home, I stopped for an hour-long Chinese foot massage ($20), a box of rice and veggies, and a beautiful new Sony Ericsson phone because my phone was out of batteries.

I've been shopping for a projector but have decided to wait until Chinese New Year. That will give me time to finish my thesis... in the meantime I have plenty to do with fixing up the house, preparing my research, editing and painting for my exhibition in April.

No comments: