Friday, August 7, 2009

Typhoon Morakot, 2009

I got back to Taiwan just in time for the year's biggest Typhoon. Gusts of up to 112mph, lots and lots of rain - most people don't have to go to work or school, but I have a lot to do! So I got out my full body rain gear and went out shopping. I could drive about 20mph, and see 10 feet in front of me. Things went pretty well most of the time. A couple of times, the strength of the wind drove me into the divider between lanes and I'd get stuck; I just couldn't drive straight no matter what. But I made it to Carrefour, B&Q, and RTmart, where I bought the desk I'd been looking for. On the way back, things were less easy carrying the 4x4 foot box between me and the handles of my scooter. Twice I was surprised by people driving towards me (on the wrong side of the street) - although this is normal in Taiwan, doing it during a Typhoon when nobody can see is just freaking stupid.

Oh yeah, I also bought a pool for my backyard pool party next week - hope the weather gets better.

No comments: