Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Superstition, ghosts and magic in Taiwan

Taiwan seems like a very advanced, modern place with open minded people. I was recently reminded that this is not true; I'm using 'ghost money' to paint a painting, which has garnished some strong reactions. Ghost money is money that you burn to give to ghosts, or deceased relatives, or gods to placate them. If you run over a cat (as my student, who is a doctor did recently) and feel bad about it, you can burn ghost money with pictures of cat food and toys on it. Besides money, you can burn plasma TV's (made of paper), food or lots of other things, which will then be transferred to the spiritual world, ready to use.

When I die, please somebody burn me effigies of Pam Anderson.

This is pretty similar to the Egyptian practice of burying the dead with useful items for the next life. It's a nice thought, an interesting cultural facet, and universally believed. Doctors, engineers, lawyers, students... the boundary of 'Taboo' is not simply that, in using the ghost money, I'm doing something inconsiderate that some people might not like; it is a personal belief that using the ghost money is unlucky, will attract misfortune to me.

Gosh I hope not - but I have a strong idea for a painting and want to do it; it only works with the ghost money, so I'm going ahead. However, I doubt any gallery in Taiwan will display it, and of course no one in Taiwan would want to buy it and put it in their house.

I don't understand why though; the stores are filled with STACKS of ghost money; why don't the ghosts go hang out in the stores? Why isn't selling ghost money unlucky? Surely ghost money has it's power in its application; the intentions of usage. Ghost money represents and preserves the intention of being generous with the dead of with the gods; otherwise it's just paper.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ghost money represents and preserves the intention of being generous with the dead of with the gods; otherwise it's just paper. This custom writing service is one of the best ones to choose!