Sunday, April 1, 2007

Painting again!

I saw this painting my first day in Taiwan, wandering around the still streets on a chilly morning in April - I was awake before the sun came up from the time difference and was eager to explore. I ate some of the best food I've ever had, a sticky rice bun with pork, crushed peanuts and fresh herbs. (Can't eat that stuff any more because of a intensified MSG intolerance.)

Anyway, I remember this painting from that morning. I found it again recently, in a painter's shop on a tiny side street next to Ckikkan towers, which is built on the remains of a 17th century Dutch fort, right in the center of Tainan. This guy did reproductions or portraits, and he's not bad, but its this ancient painting rotting outside that I love - I'll buy it sometime.

In the meantime, I've started painting again myself. It's amazing that I haven't done it in so long. I've been focusing on writing and developing in other directions; but painting just makes me feel so good, so energetic. And I love that I can paint what I want without having to justify it or prove it; even though my paintings are 1000 times as challenging or provocative as my writing. I'm working on a painting of the last supper, but I have four large canvases already sketched, so I'll cruise through several I think in the next couple of months. After that, I'll be able to organize some exhibitions.

No comments: