Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Wednesday in Korea

It's my second full day of classes - It's Wednesday already so the first week is (kind of) almost over. . . teaching University students is a breeze. Even though the hours are long - I had to get up for morning exercizes at 6:30 - there is a lot of downtime and the ESL is teaching straight out of the book. Today I tried to give a workshop on magic tricks. Found out tricks are not very much fun for anyone once revealed. . .and I had to kill 30 minutes playing 'spoons'. I also have to do a lesson on Oregon "Culture". I downloaded the nearly 30 year old video game "The Oregon Trail", which was the height of cool when I was in elementary school, and tomorrow I'll let my Korean students make Wagons and try to get their party all the way to Oregon without dying from Dysentery or Typhoid.

The food is OK, only really spicy. Lunch, breakfast and dinner includes rice and about 3 different entre's covered in red chilli pepper sauce, everything is bright red. Including the Kimchi - onions, fermented cabbage and lots of chilli peppers. I usually eat pretty simply. Some of the food is allright. I have granola bars in my room for between meals.

Korean people are different from Taiwanese. The women are less attractive, I think. Many of the women get plastic surgery, but otherwise they are kind of lumpy and plain. However, Korean guys are well-built, very stocky, bulging muscles; very cool and strong. They don't have much to choose from, which may be why they get so angry when foreigners date Korean girls. On the other hand, Taiwanese girls are beautiful, but the boys are all geeks - pudgy, scrawny and silly looking.

Many people here at camp are reading the final Harry Potter book. I bought a copy in Taiwan, but didn't have a chance to pick it up. Luckily, I can download the entire thing online - there are actually people who ran out to buy the book, then typed it all up and put it on the internet, so that I can read a copy for free. Amazing.

Tonight I'm playing poker with a bunch of the guys here - I already lost $10 last time - which I had to borrow because I won't get paid until Friday. Maybe I'll win it all back.

No comments: