Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Theft!

Today I stopped by the University to drop off some books, and when I came out, we caught someone breaking into my scooter! Under the seat is a compartment to store things; my particular scooter isn't very well put together anyway and any key of roughly the right shape will pop it open.

It was a surreal situation: I walked right past him without recognizing that it was my scooter he was digging into - Funky yelled "Derek he's stealing your things!" I turned back, there was my helmet, a comic book. . .yes, it was my scooter alright. The guy was about my age, Taiwanese, his clothes looked a little shabby. I nodded and said, "Wo-de," (Mine). His fists were full of the spare change I keep in my scooter for emergencies, but he dropped the money back inside and smiled sheepishly. I said, "Xie xie", (thanks) and he ambled off.

I was tempted to give him some money, figuring he was just down on his luck, but as we left we saw him breaking into more scooters across the street. Maybe somebody is going to lose more than a few dollars change.

No comments: