Monday, May 11, 2009

Learning Chinese in Taiwan

I've recently become determined to learn Chinese. I'm 'lower intermediate' now, I can talk on the phone and order things and introduce myself. I don't have any problems getting what I need which is why I haven't gone to the next level.

BUT: people judge your intelligence by your language ability. It's sad but true. So in my first couple years in Taiwan, people would say - "you've only been here how long and you can speak Chinese? You're so smart!" and now people say "You've been in Taiwan how long and you still can't speak Chinese?!" and I feel kind of dumb, which is humbling for me because I like to think of myself as a smart person. Ergo - time to study.

I just signed up for a private teacher from NCKU university (minimum 2hours a week, about 390nt an hour). That's a pretty sweet deal. So I'll do that plus 2 language exchanges and a lot of homework and see where that gets me.

No comments: