Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Life Changes

Oops. I had 'finished' my MA in FLL at NCKU, practically, and already been accepted to the PHD program, when they told me I was ONE CREDIT SHORT! So I need an extra semester... however in order to get the Taiwan Scholarship like I want I actually have to wait until Fall 2010 to start my PHD. OMG! Basically, I have to wait a whole year just for one tiny freaking credit. That's stupid, and it sucks. On the other hand: I wasn't feeling happy about doing the same old thing anyway, I've been dreaming about travels and adventures and now that I have an extra year, I can work on some goals that aren't school related. And that's GREAT. 1) I'm getting healthy. Today I'm cooking a healthy chicken soup. I'm not eating sugar, bread, processed foods and lots of other bad things. 2) I'm determined to learn Chinese, at least more, so I don't feel like an idiot. 3) Now that I can't depend on the scholarship, I'll actually get a job and save some money 4) I want to go to Japan for a few months (probably teaching English), I also want to spend a month in India, and travel to China and Vietnam. These are all things I can do in this 'extra time'. If I have leftover time, I can improve my thesis, try to publish a book, have some exhibitions and.... rule the world? Who knows. But probably I need a bread from the paths and goals I've been relentlessly pursuing, to do some things just out of interest or fun.

Meanwhile, I've been reading Ayn Rand's "Virtue of Selfishness", which is concretely identifying some of the problems in my psychology and thinking, and urging me to chose a wiser, more intelligent lifestyle based on reason, not emotion. :)

No comments: