Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Best Restaurant in Tainan




It's Saturday and I made it over to the beach. Now, Tainan's beaches aren't great - the place we went to had its heyday about 20 years ago and by now had fallen into obscurity. It's just near "Golden Beach". There were still plenty of people out flying kites and remote control helicopters. No swimming (most Taiwanese can't anyway) but lots of young couples and teenagers having a good time.

The city of Tainan is completely re-doing An-Ping harbor, and in a year or two we'll have an amazing waterfront area closer to the city, with boardwalks, restaurants, and modern facilities (all right next to the old temples and forts that make An-Ping famous. At any rate, I tried a dowsing method on Google Earth, using the mouse and monitor like an Ouija board, and was drawn to a spot on the map. However...didn't find anything today. Almost nothing metal on the whole beach, which seemed strange, so I wondered if I came when the tide was too high. There must be a place where the heavier stuff gets deposited, right?

But the day wasn't a total loss, we went to my favorite restaurant in Tainan. Taiwanese food is excellent, however, nearly everything has MSG in it and I'm allergic. That means there are few things I can eat without getting really sick. I'm usually OK with Western places and I eat a lot of pasta, but who wants to live in Asia and eat Italian everyday? This restaurant is one of the few places that serves good fresh food with no MSG - plus its super cool inside.

1 comment:

Anonymous Senior said...

Hey!

The food looks great! Any chance you have the address and/or name of this place?

Thanks